Two parents in Washington state have been found guilty of murder after following the abusive parenting techniques advocated in the parenting book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl.
And this is not the first case.
The Schatzes: murdered 7 year old daughter Lydia during dicipline session.
The Paddocks: Murdered their 4 year old son, Sean
Please help stop this book from being sold so that ignorant parents will not have this guideline to help them abuse, torture, and kill their children.
This book is written by sick people that need help themselves, and should not be advising parents on discipline. Please help by signing the petition below.
Sign The Petition
Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:
- Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
- Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
- "Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
- "Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
- Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
- "Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
- Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
- Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
- Inflicting punishment until a child is "without breath to complain."